Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Ultimate Go-to Recipe: Lemon Bars

Recently, while browsing the Internet, I found a recipe that changed my baking career- lemon bars. My mom adores the treats, and first persuaded me to bake them. They need only five ingredients and can be done within an hour. They are delicious and a perfect thing to bring to all those summer picnics.

BTW, that isn't my picture. I forgot to take a picture of my last batch, and these are way more perfect than mine anyway.



I know it calls for 2 juiced lemons, but, honestly, I never have the fruit, energy, or patience to juice lemons, so I just substitute it with a 1/2 cup of lemon juice. And unless you cut them tiny, there are not 36 servings. It doesn't say it on the recipe, which surprises me, but make sure to sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top when you're done.

Make sure to put in the ingredients in the right order. When making the filling, I put in the flour and sugar in after the eggs and lemon juice, and the flour wouldn't dissolve. My lemon bars ended up with gross flour flecks in them.

Additionally, it can be confusing using flour and sugar twice. I accidentally put in 1/2 cup of sugar into the filling instead of 1 1/2 cups, so my lemon bars ended up really sour. I was all for throwing them out, but my dad, who insisted they were still good, took them to his office. His coworkers devoured them. They must get really cooped up in that office building!

But, anyway, it's a great summer recipe! I hope you try it, because it's so incredibly easy and simple. I took these to a party, and everyone was shocked that I didn't buy them! Gotta love allrecipes. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment