Thursday, June 13, 2013

An Unusual Family Recipe: Boiled Cookies

Yes, I know I've been posting a lot about food lately, but I've been on this cooking spree ever since school ended, so here you go.

Most families have boring, stereotypical family recipes. A chili one, maybe, or perhaps a recipe for salad dressing. But yesterday, I made one of my family recipes, boiled cookies. It was a recipe my grandfather's mother made in the 30s and 40s, and I still love making them today.

Boiled cookies are made in a very different way then most cookies. They do not require an oven, instead, you use a saucepan and the stove. The first part of the cookies is a chocolate mixture which you have to boil.  Then a dry mixture is mixed with the chocolate one, and it has to cool before plopping lumps onto wax paper to harden. You have the option of adding additional nuts, but I, personally, am not a nut person, so I don't. Despite the odd process, and the less-than-perfect appearance, these cookies are absolutely delicious.



I've never some across them at a party or potluck, and that surprises me. Boiled cookies are so yummy, and I'm shocked that no one else has discovered them. They are very simple, and require ingredients almost everyone always has.

"We always made them as kids..." my mother reminisced when I asked her about them. I hope my children, and my children's children will be able to say the same.

I thought about the uncommonness of this family recipe, and how it definitely wasn't stereotypical. But then I discovered, I'm not stereotypical, so why should my family recipe be?

Anyway, here it is if you want to make it.



Boiled Cookies

In a medium saucepan mix:

1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
4 Tblsp. Cocoa (or 2 squares Baker's Chocolate)
1/2 cup milk (evaporated is best)

Bring to a slow boil, cook 2 minutes exactly then remove from heat (if it is cooked too long cookies will crumble and fall apart, cooked too short, cookies will run)

Add:

1/2 cup crunch peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (quick cook)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Let cool, drop on waxed paper.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great post! I remember my mom (your Grandma) made a batch of these that I took with me to Boy Scout Camp when I was around 11 or 12. The older boys were hassling me about bringing "food from your mommy" and so on. Then they made fun of the way these cookies looked, etc. Didn't bother me one bit; I knew something they didn't about these cookies! Some of the other young fellows and I were happily enjoying them. I'm not sure how but the older guys somehow got word about the cookies over in the Tenderfoot's tent. Next thing I knew, all these older guys - who had been teasing me - were suddenly at my tent, clamoring for the cookies! - Uncle H

    ReplyDelete