Sunday, June 9, 2013

Harry Potter: A Series That Will Stand the Test of Time

I first picked up a Harry Potter novel in January of 2012, and was soon immersed in a world of flying broomsticks and simmering cauldrons. I tore through the series in a month, and probably would've in a week if the books hadn't taken so long to arrive from the library. I finished the series finale by devouring it in seven hours- nonstop.

Before long, I had my own boxed set of all the books and had watched all the movies. I sketched pictures of Hermione on my notebook and made a Harry Potter t-shirt. And yet, a year and a half later, I still obsess over Harry Potter with the same vigor I did when I first read it. But the question is, why? What does Harry Potter have that charm that makes its fans never stop loving it? Why don't they get bored? The answer, at least in my opinion, lies in the author.

J. K. Rowling is a simply terrific author. I could never have that much creativity to think of a masterpiece as Harry Potter. The true beauty of it is that 1st graders read about Harry and so do and 80-year-olds. The mark of an incredible book is that almost any age will read, an enjoy, a book. And Ms. Rowling has certainly accomplished that.

But the biggest achievement she has reached, and what makes her books so wildly popular, is that she has a good idea, and she writes it well. I cannot even count the number of books I have read that have fantastic plots, characters, and themes, but the writer's vocabulary is so awful that the book is boring.The author has no idea how to build suspense or portray emotion. Even though she has a great idea, without good writing to go along with it the story is incomplete and dull.  As much as reading those kinds of books is frustrating, it's almost as bad as reading a terrifically written piece with a boring plot and stereotypical settings and characters. The worst part is, if the idea for the book is awful, then most people won't even give it chance. It's sad to see so many good ideas and extensive vocabulary and writing skills go to waste.

But J.K. Rowling has certainly not gone to waste. With the benefits of both elements, her writing is fresh and exciting. Though a lot of authors have accomplished what Ms. Rowling did, almost none of them did it as well. And so Harry Potter will live on, and truly stand the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment